Willis Pipe Organ Festival 8 to 11 September 2016
We are pleased to share with you the details of this special Festival which will celebrate the Willis Pipe Organ being fully restored after a decade of fundraising. This is the fourth Willis Pipe Organ Festival – the first three were part of fundraising efforts for the full restoration of the organ.
After a total of £250,000 later, the organ is finally fully refurbished, in glorious voice and, most importantly, ready to be played!
Our very own Jonathan Kingston is the Festival Director and he says what makes this such a special instrument and this particular festival so historic, is that:
“The Henry Willis’s family firm is to organ building what Rolls-Royce is to cars. Henry Willis organs grace buildings such as Hereford, Lincoln and Salisbury Cathedral. The Willis legacy is internationally know to be without equal – crafted from the highest quality materials and boldly yet beautifully voiced, creating a delightful sound for both performer and listener.”
What does the festival entail?
There are three very special evening events – organ pops, silent movie and masterworks – plus free daytime talks, workshops and recitals. There’s something for everyone in the Festival programme. Bring the family and find out more about this very special pipe organ.
Where is the Festival taking place?
In the historic coaching town of Stony Stratford, in the northern part of Milton Keynes.
The organ concerts themselves will be held at St Mary’s & St Gile’s Church, Church Street, Stony Stratford, Milton Keynes. Download a leaflet with the full programme details here > Willis Organ Festival Leaflet 2016, or find out more on the Music For All website.
- Open Church with Photo Exhibition – Thursday 8th, Friday 9th, Sunday 11th Sept
- Lunchtime Recital (FREE) – Friday 9th – played by organ scholar Jacob Collins
- Workshop ‘Beginner’s Guide to the Organ’ (FREE) – Friday 9th Sept
- Organ Pops (Showpiece) by Jonathan Kingston – Tickets £10 – Friday 9th Sept
- Workshop ‘Family Jam’ (FREE) – Saturday 10th Sept
- Teddy Bear’s Picnic Family Concert (FREE) – Saturday 10th Sept
- Silent Movie – Tickets £7 – Saturday 10th Sept. Donald MacKenzie playing the Odeon Cinema Organ
- Sunday morning Mass – all welcome
- ‘Get to know our Willis’ – FREE Talk on Sunday 11th Sept
- ‘Hands on our Willis’ – FREE drop in to try it yourself – Sunday 11th Sept
- Sunday Night Masterworks – Concert at £10 a ticket with Roger Sayer playing
Booking and Parking information
Please read all the programme information to see which events need booking and which need tickets >Willis Organ Festival Leaflet 2016. There is ample local free parking in Stony Stratford, just go to www.stonystratford.co.uk to look for a map of the town and car parks. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by David Mason (see all)
- Sheffield Hickleton Mission Partnership – The Centenary Project - 20/02/2017
- A visit to explore the Wurlitzer Organ - 10/02/2017
- Basilica san Frediano, Lucca - 04/02/2017