RCO Academy: “The Conservatoire Experience”
This will be of interest to all teenage organists! This is a one-day programme on 11 February 2017 to pursue their organ playing through higher education.
The British Conservatoires – The Royal Academy of Music, The Royal College of Music, Trinity College of Music, Birmingham Conservatoire, the Royal Northern College of Music, and the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland – set the standard for organists to develop their performing skills to the highest levels as part of a degree course. All feature teachers who are at the top of their game in the competitive world of professional music-making, coupled with fabulous facilities and opportunities.
You will be hosted by Henry Fairs (Head of Organ, Birmingham Conservatoire) with help from Daniel Moult (Birmingham’s Associate Head of Organ) and James Parsons (RCO Academy and visiting tutor at Birmingham) at the Birmingham Conservatoire. You enjoy:
- hands-on tuition through classes taught by Henry, Dan and James
- recitals by Birmingham Conservatoire organ students; AND the chance to meet and chat to them
- hearing the latest about Birmingham’s brand-new, state-of-the-art conservatoire building and its organ facilities (opening September 2017)
Here’s a virtual tour of the conservatoire building:
You can read more by going to the RCO website here (where you can book online).
During the programme, you will also have the opportunity to play:
- the 4-manual organs in Birmingham Symphony Hall and Birmingham Town Hall
- the superbly versatile Walker organ in the resonant acoustic of St Chad’s Cathedral
- and the new, historic-classic Garnier organ at Birmingham University
Pricing for the day is £40 for RCO Student members and £45 for all other full time students. (More information here).
Image credit: Taken from Birmingham Town Hall website.